Sunday, December 21, 2008

I Did it!! Day 2...

Ok, so I am a crafty, creative, make-it-yourself junkie on steroids, literally. But I must say that when a creative project is finished, and I did it almost all by myself (except for the sage wisdom and occasional helping hand from seasoned professionals), there is almost nothing that beats the complete satisfaction of a job well done and new frontier conquered--for better or for worse.
....
Here is my latest endeavor....


Yes, this is a stocking sewn by yours truly out of Savannah's first year Christmas baby clothes! Yes, I said her baby clothes...and the inside is lined with one of her receiving blankets=) My sister-in-love's mother, Mrs. Boyd, helped with surging the inside seams at the edge together, and my Dot-Dot embroidered her name (as she has done for my ENTIRE family for as long as I can remember), and whoo-ha-la! A unique one of a kind creation to follow my girl the rest of her life.
....

It's not perfect, but therein lies the beauty. This was the first time I have EVER used a sewing machine to attempt anything since HomeEc in seventh grade. So just learning to thread the machine was scary. Then crossing my fingers and attempting a zig zag stitch was scary, and I promise you there's not a straight line of stitching on the entire stocking. Then the binding with bias tape and trim at the top was VERY SCARY. But there it is...all done, and I did it. Not so scared to try it again now, especially since I just had to throw perfection to the wind...kinda freeing when you think about it=)

2 comments:

Stan and Kim said...

Yeah!!!! I am so proud of you! It looks great.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love them! These are great!