Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Favorites

So, this is the time of year when traditions abound, and you just can't help sitting back and reminiscing about old times, good times, family memories, and the "way things use to be", and the way some things always should be. Some of my personal favorites:


1) Watching the movie White Christmas and sighing as Irving Berlin sings the actual song all the while wishing I could actually be one of the Davis sisters.

2) Plugging in my iPod and turning up my Christmas playlist, along with filling my car CD player with every Christmas CD I own. Favorite album: Croon and Swoon. Favorite Christmas song: Winter Wonderland. Favorite Christmas carol: O Holy Night.

3) Christmas past to Christmas present: I still love to decorate a Christmas tree (more posts on that later=) I remember growing up and painstakingly helping my dad place the lights just so on the tree, then laughing to myself as he would place one string of tinsle on the tree in just the right place. Anyone remember tinsle? Then there was the race against siblings to put the most Christmas ornaments on the tree or to be the one to place specific ornaments on the tree--everyone had a favorite, and then there wad the inevitable arguments that insued about where the ornaments were placed on the tree: "You hung it too close to mine. You hung it too high. Don't you move MY ornament! I want it where it is."

As silly as all that sounds, I love every memory, and they make me smile. Decorating a tree is still fun for Joey and me because I remember all those times. I can't wait until Savannah can begin joining in the fun=) It will be fun to relive my own memories in some way all over again with her.

4) Christmas baking! I don't do a lot of it, but I love to think about it and hope other people do it=) Ha-ha! Favorites: Martha Washington Candy--I use to help my Dot-Dot make it every year. Thumbprint Cookies and Fudge--baking with Mama memories. Gingerbread cookies--I ganked a great recipe from a friend years ago, and I have made this my favorite Christmas cookie tradition. Takes some work, but they are so much fun and delicious, especially with lemon icing.
5) And I would be remiss if I didn't mention The Nutcracker. Although we haven't done it in years, there were many years in my middle and and high school era that my Meema and I went to see The Nutcracker performed somewhere. Every time I hear that melodic music I think of light-footed ballerinas and my Meema. It's nice when music brings back such distinct moments in life.

So that is what I spend the month of December thinking about and dwelling on and savoring, all the while quietly thanking the Lord that I have such great family to have such great memories.

What are your favorites at Christmas?

1 comment:

Stan and Kim said...

We did have some great times. The future has more to come. Thanks for remembering and sharing. Love you!!