Saturday, December 20, 2008

And So It Begins! Day 1....

Yes, the two week long celebration of family and Christmas has officially begun in the Durham household=) You have to understand. Family is the absolute most important thing to us. Since we have three sides to our family, and mine in particular has about three inside itself, we opt to rotate the actual day of Christmas between families every year; however, that means all other family must somehow be included either before or after Christmas, hence the two week celebration!
.....
Today Joey, Savannah, and I spent time at my dad's parent's home, my Dot-D0t and Granddaddy Frank. The older these two get the more endeared to my heart they become. They have suffered much physically these past few years. Trips to the doctor for various tests and medication adjustments have become like running errands for them. But, they NEVER complain...not enough to matter anyway.
.....
Today as I watched four generations gather around the all-too-familiar kitchen table playing a round of dominoes, I had to sigh and revel in the warmth of this familiar tradition--ah, the men in the Bounds family--how they love to compete at familiar games=) And Savannah was right there in the middle, loving every minute of her Grampy's knee.
....
As for me, I was helping Dot-Dot in the kitchen, where all good wives should be, right? Kidding...kinda...it's just the way it is on this side of the family=) But I couldn't help but watch my Dot-Dot as we rolled out her famous Martha Washington Candy then dipping it all in paraffin coated chocolate. She has aged, but her gentility has only increased with time, some might say feeble, yet strong still at the same time. I had to gulp back emotion in the back of my throat as I thought about all the years we had done this very thing together.
....
And then their was Savannah. Youth and joy and energy and laughter right in the middle of it all. Oh the way God works! Now there is a joy in being a grandparent, I see it in my parents' faces all the time, but there is an even greater joy and satisfaction in the admiration of a great-grandparent. Sometimes, I think the look they have in their eyes must be the same as our New Testament prophetess Anna when she finally laid her eyes and hands on baby Jesus. Oh the glory she gave to God for being able to hold that tiny babe and see that day arrive! THAT is the joy in a great-grandparent's eye....and Savannah is blessed to bring this joy to five great-grandmothers and three great-grandfathers, but I know the two that went ahead rejoice with them in heaven=)
I believe this picture says it all....

...enough said. Let the celebration of Christ and family begin!!!