Friday, October 31, 2008

Traditions!

So, one of my all time favorite things to do is carve a pumpkin. I don't know why. I mean, it really is a messy, gooey, sticky process, but I love every minute of creating this glowing work of art. Maybe it's because I have such fond memories of carving so many pumpkins growing up. It's also one of the few things I really associate doing with my dad. Halloween is one of his favorite holidays, simply because I think he loves kids so much, and Halloween was always so much fun for us growing up as kids.


So, I think every time I carve a pumpkin it reminds me of my daddy and the time we spent designing and redesigning the perfect faces on newspaper before ever taking a knife to the pumpkin. I remember the funny faces and noises he use to make when pulling the "brains" out of the insides, and I remember the excitement and anticipation of taking the masterpiece into the laundry room (because that was the darkest room in the house), turning the lights out, and ooing and awing at the glowing face we had created together. Simply put, I think I feel closer to my dad everytime I carve a pumpkin, and my hope is one day Savannah and, Lord-willing any other kids to come, will feel the same way too. Enjoy! And Happy Halloween!

No comments: