Monday, August 17, 2009

We Owned the Bathroom!


So, today was our first real day out with two kids under two. Joey and I are exhausted, but the doctor's visits for Weston were mandatory, so off we went. Joey is driving around town...very slowly mind you...like a zombie, while I'm dozing off on the passenger side of the car every chance I get.

After an early morning hospital visit for the billirubin blood draw, it was on to the pediatrician by 10:30am for Weston's first checkup. Which, by the way, he is perfect=) His levels were way down, so off the billi lights he came as soon as we got home. It's so nice to see my adorable little boy in clothes, bundled up in blankets the way he likes, and sleeping in his own crib=) And he's a fantastic sleeper and eater!

Anyway, by the time this long morning was over, we needed lunch, so since McDonald's and Chick-fil-A are the ONLY two restaurants with playgrounds, it was off to Chick-fil-A. We handled our two munchkins with some admirable teamwork, and I must say I am blessed out of my mind to have a husband with a flexible job schedule and a tremendous love for me and our children to do all that he does...to the envy of many an onlooker=)

As always, leaving a restaurant means a trip to the changing tables in the bathroom. Today was no exception, except for the fact that now we have two. It was my first time packing for two, so I conveniently only packed one pack of wipes, so I took Weston and went into the ladies' room first. And here is my experience: I laid him on his fuzzy blanket, thinking this would be a quick change because he had been full up at the doctor's office, no way he could add more, right? WRONG! No sooner did I get his diaper off and wipes open than he projectile squirted a horizontal splash of greenish-brown poop straight out across the blanket, about a foot in length from hiny to endpoint, and all over the wipes box. I wanted to cry for help or just cry in general at this point, but about that second he also decided to arch a stream of pee up over his head and onto the wall. Sigh. There was nothing I could do at this point but laugh hysterically at the mess in front of me. He of course is screaming his head off, so I attempt to vaseline his circumcision quickly, which of course means his feet and legs are now covered in vaseline before I can manage to get the diaper on him properly. So I had to first clean off the poop-covered wipes container before I could then wipe down the pee-covered wall, the vaseline coated legs, and well, the blanket just got wadded up, so you couldn't see the poop, so I could at least get him to the car without him being completely naked. Seriously, the whole scene was straight out of Saturday Night Live sketch!

I was giggling exhaustedly as I slumped out of the bathroom, briefly relaying the story to Joey who sighed and chuckled tiredly before he took his turn with the wipes and Savannah while I slinked off to the car. Joey then proceeds to the men's restroom, and this is what ensued: He had Savannah on the changing table, pants stripped off ready to change her diaper, which for whatever reason was loaded with a mess of watery poop...must have been something she ate. Anyway, Joey wasn't quite prepared for the mess he would have to clean up, so as he went to get more wipes, Savannah decided she needed to help him out...take matters into her own hands, literally. Before Joey could stop her, she had reached down and yanked the diaper off her bottom and flipped over, dirty-side down onto the changing table. In the process of yanking, she also managed to splash poop all over Joey's shirt and the surounding walls, and of course, the wipes box=)

So yes, we definitely owned the Chick-fil-A bathroom today...both of them. Joey got in the car, and I almost couldn't believe this had just happened to both of us on our first time out with both kids! It really was a comedian's dream act...nothing like real life for real humor=) Needless to say, that wipes box was empty when we got home, and Joey threw it into the dishwasher...hahahaha!

I proceeded to have to clean up squirting pee off the nursery wall and myself before the day was over...already going through three outfits and three changing table pads before the day was over. Seriously! I need some help! Pointers? Anyone? On the how to keep the boy from peeing all over everything every time I change him? I obviously haven't learned the tricks of the trade yet. Ah, but it is a relief to know that we can handle an outing with our two, even if we do have to leave our mark in the process=)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The key is to take off the dirty diaper, very quickly repacing it with something absorbant. It can be another diaper, or a washcloth, or heck his clothes. It does get easier once the circumcision heals, and you just kind of have to change quickly. Gave me a good laugh!

Dezirae said...

I always kept a wipe over top of the package. forgo changing on nice fuzzy blankets and get the disposable ones. Keep the wipe on the package till the new, clean diaper is under the bum, then quickly remove said wipe and close diaper....problem solved. I promise you will get better at dodging the pee.... xo

Jill said...

Think NASCAR pit crew. The faster the change the better. You will have plenty of practice to get this down and then when you change a girl people will laugh because you do it soo fast. It will get better!!

The View From My Porch said...

Haha! Welcome to having a little boy. As soon as that thing hits the air all bets are off. Keep it covered and change it fast. You'll get it down to a science soon and for now all you can do is laugh.

Katherine Ehrhardt said...

Hi Jennifer, not sure if you remember me, but I am a friend of Laurie Ann's and I met you at one of her bridal showers.I had my little Ava with me when she was just 4 weeks old and you were pregnant with Savannah! I saw from Laurie Ann's blog that you had your sweet baby boy- I just recently had a baby boy too! Lucas is 8wks old today. We have kids the same ages basically! I was laughing about your chick-fil-a story because I have SOOO been there! I felt like I got peed on by Lucas sooo much in the first few weeks while his circumcision was healing, but I started placing the gauze there before he could aim at my face! Good luck! Enjoy your sweet babies! My saving grace for getting out of the house is carrying Lucas in a sling. He LOVES it and won't make a peep until we have left the store and I put him back in his carseat (on good days at least!)
God bless!
In Christ,
Katherine