Friday, April 9, 2010

I Run: Lesson Five

Lesson Five: For God is able to do and accomplish immeasurably more than we can even hope to think, imagine, or comprehend.



Today I ran six miles. A complete loop around my community. Not re-lapping or passing anything twice. An entire loop of six miles of sweat, controlled breathing, and small inward prayers, "Dear Lord get me home." And He did.



Six miles people! Are you kidding me? Now that I've done it, I shake my head and wonder how in the world did that happen? That was the longest run, covering more ground than I can even comprehend. An hour and a half--give or take--of running. Up and down steep hills, long, gruelling, gradual hills, and winding roads. Somewhere around mile three my inner thighs began to burn from chapping, but I figured (rightly, by the way) it would hurt worse to stop and walk than to keep going through the dull, constant, rubbing, heated pain. I started, and I finished, and I sit amazed at the wonder of a God who enables our frail, fleshly bag of bones to be able to accomplish this feat.



Six miles. Now I know I can do it. Now I dread doing it again. I still hate to run. The thought of covering that distance again, on another day, is daunting, tiring, and I truly deeply dread it. But I will do it again...Lord willing, I will do it again.



Why? Because this is the path He's put me on. This is the task He has set before me. There are lessons to be learned, words to be typed, and thoughts to be shared. I run because He asks me to--no other reason. No deep theological thoughts to share, just encouragement for the weary. This seems to be my niche in life--to remind people to stay the course and keep going. The task at hand soon fades in comparison to the call of the Master on your life. Be encouraged!



"20Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, 21to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians3:19-21


"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2:20

When you run this far for this long, at some point in your run, between the counting of breaths and the gritting of teeth and the forgetting of pain of chapped inner thighs, you lose yourself in the knowledge that only God can carry you home. You have no strength of your own left to give, only a determined heart and mind, a willingness to hang on and hang in there--to have faith-- because your Personal Trainer tells you, "It's worth it. Run." Listen to His voice--it's worth it.

3 comments:

Cool Mom said...

I love all of your blogs, Jennifer. Everyone of them. Even if I don't always "post a comment." Thanks for writing them.

Stan and Kim said...

I am so proud of you!!! I needed to hear what you had to say. Never give up on what God has called you to do OR who he lays on your heart.
Love you....

Erin Hill said...

Jennifer - Your story of running sounds so familiar to mine...we started around the same time and I actually just ran 6 miles yesterday for the first time! These "I Run" posts are SO encouraging!! Keep up the great work!