Friday, April 9, 2010

Potty Training Days

To date, potty training is the hardest thing I have tried to accomplish with my children. Breastfeeding was easier! And those who know me, know how much I abhorred that. I'm totally not forcing the issue with Savannah, not yet. It doesn't seem fair to require her to go cold turkey all day when two days out of the week she's in school where--her being the 2nd child to even start potty training--they don't even take potty breaks during the day. Any progress I make the few days before she goes to school is completely erased come Tuesday or Thursday.

Sigh...so we continue to daily celebrate successes and express extreme disappointment with failures. Some days I never have to change a pair of wet panties, even after nap times! And then some days, we go through five outfits before the day is over. Not really sure when that little light bulb will go off in her head, but I'm praying it happens this summer for good. I would really like to stop buying diapers and at least some pull-ups.

Some funny stories to share:

1.) We were in Burlington Coat Factory when I turn around to see Savannah pulling her panties down in the middle of the aisle and pieces of poop falling out onto the floor. Mortified, I scoop her undies up, poop-filled and all, and rush her to the bathroom, somehow finding time to grab wipes and pick up the floor before I fly off. I'm pretty sure "pooper scooper" was not in my job description when I signed on. HA!

2.) Having to leave Weston alone with the Chick-fil-A hostess lady (a complete stranger) while I whisk Savannah away to the potty--we made it just in time=) And the sweet lady saw my distress and had offered to sit with Weston, so it's not like I just dumped him on her. Thank you Lord for Chick-fil-A!

3.) Somehow in the midst of a recent rush to make an unplanned doctor's visit for Weston, Savannah ended up in the car with no panties on and no shoes. (We frequently do the no panties thing at home right now--she tends to make it to the potty with no accidents more often.) Anyhow, she successfully told me she had to go while at the doctor's office. However, when Joey arrived to take her off my hands and go fill prescriptions, he didn't have as much luck. She popped a squat and took a dump right inside the pharmacy front door when they arrived. Not having the diaper bag with wipes on hand, my hubby quickly opened the pharmacy door and kicked--yes, I said kicked--the poop into the parking lot. That's going to be a nice surprise for someone getting out of their car!

4.) Once again, we are at Chick-fil-A. Savannah has taken her shoes off and is running around all over the place, playing on the playground. I notice from afar that she runs off to a corner and gets real still. In a panic, I call out, "Do you need to go potty?!?" She looks stunned that I caught her, yells "Yes!", then makes a beeline for the door. I snatch my purse and wheel out, pushing Weston in front of me in his high chair. Thank you Lord for high chairs with wheels! I zoom past all the dining customers, waving at the owner and managing a passing, "Hey" with forced smile as I fly past him, ignoring all the people staring while yelling at Savannah ahead of me, directing her to the Women's Restroom door not the Men's. We come to a flying halt in the bathroom. I briefly check Weston for whiplash--he's still smiling, God love this kid! And yank down panties, only to find this was a failed attempt. Soaked dirty underwear stripped and toilet cleaned, we head back to the playground at a slower pace. The owner, a friend of ours, asks if everything is ok. I nod and smile, and glance ahead at Savannah's bare feet, cringing inwardly at the thought of us just being in the bathroom, and say, "Yep. Just hope your floors are clean." And laugh jokingly. He beams, and says, "Just had 'em steam-cleaned Monday." Thank you Lord for Chick-fil-A!

4 comments:

Alicia said...

I agree about this being the worst task of mother hood. I hated it! I need to start with Evie, but I'm just dreading it. My only motivation is to not keep paying for diapers. Hope things get better with Savannah

The Harpers said...

Girl really knows how to pop a squat! Good luck with all of this, it sounds crazy (and also like you need at least 5 pairs of panties and wipes on you and Joey at all times!:)) I definitely know who to call in the future!

Christen said...

You have the most hilarious stories! That's great that you are sticking with the potty training!
I tried to start with Luke, but he just wasn't getting it, so we put it on hold for a few months.

Brittany said...

ok, those are the funniest stories I have heard in a long time!!! thank you for giving me a good laugh!!