Saturday, January 2, 2010

Here We Go Again! Welcome 2010 =)

So, this may be the longest blog ever...we'll see. It's been TOO LONG since I last wrote! I will break it down into headings for you if you just want to skip to the good parts=) NOTE: I don't think I have ever asked this before, but if you read this blog, would you please respond somehow someway to this post. I am in desperate need of some encouragement these days!


CHRISTMAS

(Christmas morning...yes, me and Savannah had matching PJ's. I couldn't resist...thank you Target!)

1) Christmas began for us in Macon as per the end of my last post.
2) Next for us came Christmas Eve celebration with my mom's side of the family. EVERYONE was there! All the cousins, both my brothers, and even my sister who surprised us all by knocking on the front door Christmas Eve. It couldn't have been a more perfect surprise! And if you're a blog follower, I highly recommend her blog. She's an honest writer with a good heart. Love you sis!
3) Christmas day through Sunday was spend at our home for the first time ever, as we entertained Joey's parents from TX for Christmas. Savannah loved having her CiCi and PopPop around every day, and it was nice to have the opportunity to do some real entertaining. So glad they could come out for the occasion!


(My little bear in his Christmas present=)


JOEY
Joey is well and ready to take on the world! =) He's got some big goals for this year as he plans on continuing his 4.0 GPA through his MBA courses. He just finished his 3rd class this December--his hardest, most demanding one yet--and came out with an A! I couldn't be more proud of him. He is an awesome example of a godly man, husband, and father.


JENNIFER

(Me & my oldest, youngest brother Matthew on Christmas Eve.)

1.) Ok, so the biggest thing in my life right now--other than my two kids, obviously--is training for this 5K. I started to blog about it back the first of November, and I'm still hammering away. Thanks to all my wonderful family and awesome husband for helping me with some much needed gear this Christmas! In case you didn't know, it has gotten COLD here in the South! UnderArmour is a godsend=) (Wish is wasn't so dadgum expensive.)

Please pray that I continue to stick with my training plan. I've kinda hit a wall with lack of sleep and just plain exhaustion from all the holiday hooplah. I'm looking forward to getting back into the program, but to be honest, I'm running 3 miles now for my workout, and it's just plain HARD--every time. Please pray for perseverance and endurance. More on this thought in my next blog=)

2.) Side thought #1: I have become a HUGE fan of reusable grocery bags. I still make a run every now and then to get the plastic ones because I need to keep a stock for dirty diapers, but the few bucks you spend to buy a reusable bag goes a long way....AND it makes you feel good to know you're doing something to help the environment=) Instead of hauling 20 plastic bags inside from the car, I can pack the same amount of groceries into just 5 bags! Plus their handles are long enough, you can throw them over your shoulder when you need a free hand.

Tips:
A.) Buy just one bag every time you check out at a store, anywhere. I have found it only takes maybe 5 good, sturdy bags to do my entire grocery run for the week.
B.) Only buy bags that cost $3 or less, that way if something happens to it, you don't feel stupid for paying a lot of money.
C.) Only buy bags where the strap is sewn all the way into the bag from top to bottom. If you buy a bag like the Walmart reusables, where the strap is only sewn on just at the top, it will break before you get good use out of it. I also prefer bags with a hard, cardboard bottom. So far, the Publix bags are my favorite.
D.) Have fun and pick up different designs and patterns at places like Michael's or Target.
E.) Keep them in the floorboard of your car or in a seat pocket, so you don't forget to use them. F.) Remember to either have your meats bagged in plastic or wash the reusable after carrying meat in it; otherwise you can spread unwanted raw meat germs.

Let me know what "going Green" ideas are your favorites that really work for you without causing your life extra hassle!


3) Side thought #2: I am a HUGE Pampered Chef fan. Their garlic press has been my favorite kitchen utensil for as long as I can remember. You can't beat being able to peel and press your garlic at the same time--no smelly fingers! Until now...my sister just got me a Citrus Press for Christmas that is out of this world! I love fresh lemon, lime, or orange juice in almost everything I cook, but I hate having to juice things by hand. No more! This citrus press literally turns the halves of the fruit inside out as you press it, giving you all the juice and none of the pulp or seeds. Amazing! What is your favorite kitchen utensil, and why? I'm always looking for things to make life easier=)
SAVANNAH

Oh, where to begin! Something inside this little girl just clicked and set off like a fire cracker the week of Christmas! Her mouth and her feet move non-stop, and suddenly she has decided it is her job to tell EVERYONE what to do. Sheesh! Discipline and teaching manners has become the single most important focus of every day right now, but please keep praying...I have a feeling potty training is close at hand! Fingers crossed! Here are my favorite Savannahisms that must be recorded for posterity's sake....

1) I was leaning over, trying to get Savannah to calm down and be quiet during a rather solemn moment on Christmas Eve. I reached to cup her face and get her attention, but before I could even touch her, she fell down backwards on the floor, and with this look of horror, hurt, and disdain all at once, she proclaimed for all who could hear, "No knocka me down, Mommy!" She then proceeded to turn to her Aunt Emmie and announce, "Mommy pusha me down." I promise you! I never touched the little drama queen!

(Joey captured the look on her face right before she accused me of pushing her down.)


2) Weston has become a pro at bouncing in his bouncy seat. One night, he was really going to town. Savannah ran over next to him and started jumping up and down with him. They were both cackling hysterically, when Savannah abruptly stopped, turned to me, and in her most state-of-fact voice told me, "Need go get camra, Mommy. Tate piture me an Wesson." Yes ma'am!

3)Savannah loves baby dolls. She got 4 for Christmas and loves playing with all of them. I dug out an old Vera Bradley purse of mine that is the same pattern as the diaper bag I tote around. I filled this purse with all the baby doll essentials--bottles, pacis, diapers, and blankies. Savannah is thrilled to have a purse just like Mommy. She even stomped (literally) around Kroger with me the other day on a quick grocery run, insistent upon carrying her baby and her new purse with her all by herself. There wasn't a face in that store that didn't smile from ear to ear at her!


4) "Mom an Dad, play games wi me." Hungry Hungry Hippo and Memory--two classics we can't escape these days. How do you say no to such a sweet little voice? Besides, the day will come too soon, when I will want to play games with her, and she won't be interested in my attention, so I will play while I have the chance, and she still wants me around.


5) She surprised us both the other night when she pretended, exactly the way she should pretend, that she was putting contacts in her eyes while in the bathtub. She even told Joey she "need put in her contacts." The irony--neither I nor Joey wear contacts!!! I will give either Joey's mom, Patti, or my mom credit for this one. My mom said it was about a month ago--the last time Savannah saw her do this. So much for short-term memory! Oh be careful what you say and do; little eyes are always watching you.

WESTON

I believe Weston is finally well! We haven't been to church or Savannah to school for the last three weeks, so that's probably why, but I'm enjoying two healthy, happy kids for the time being=) Weston is a chunk! Fitting perfectly into his 9 month clothing at coming up on 5 months, and already starting to wear his 12 month clothing. He is a handsome, smiley little boy. So sweet and gurgly these days. He coos, and laughs, and squeals at Savannah, which I LOVE!


He started eating cereal the week after Thanksgiving and has progressed quite rapidly into pears, bananas, and sweet potatoes. He still prefers his bottle the most, but he tolerates all the other food I try to get down him. If I don't, I promise you, he will eat me out of house and home in formula! Right now, he eats three meals a day consisting of 1/4c. cereal, 1 1st foods container of baby food, and about 4oz. formula. This does not include the 4-6 oz. he will down before each nap or the 6-8oz. he will put down before bedtime!!! Good gracious, that's A LOT of food!

Now that he's eating solid food, he doesn't spit up quite as much, so I've been able to let him spend more time on his tummy. He's a little behind on the game and hasn't rolled himself over yet, but he tries real hard. He hasn't gone from tummy to back yet without help, but he can roll himself onto his side from his back. I'm hopeful he will get it eventually. He's got to get strong enough to move around his big 'ole body!

THE NEW YEAR

1). New Year's Eve was spent at the Chick-fil-A Bowl with my hubby and brother Matt and wife Emily. We had a great time watching drama unfold when these two college-aged Tennessee fans refused to sit down about three rows in front of us. They were literally the ONLY two people standing for about 10 sections of the dome that I could see. I thought the people around me were going to cuss them out of the stadium. The two obnoxious kids did their fair share to cuss right back until a stadium worker came and sat them down. Geez...we also enjoyed the view of the guy's butt crack right in front of us every time he stood up. I mean, come on! Don't people know what boxers are for? Or at least how to use a belt properly?


The game was fun and afterwards we all rang in the new year playing some pool at Gordon Biersh in midtown with some of Emily's friends that let us crash their get together. A sackfull of Krystals were downed around 2am, then off to home for 4 hours of sleep before the kiddos woke up. I'm still playing catch up on that sleep=) It was good to get out though and much fun was had by all!


2.) Songs that got me through 2009: (I like that my sister included this on her blog...I always enjoy finding new music to add to my iPod=)
Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus--yes, I am a shameless Miley fan, and this song was by far, my favorite to crank with the windows down on the rare occasions I got out of the house without a kid in my car. Good clean, fun, pop music. Been a while since any of this has been on secular radio.
By Your Side by Tenth Avenue North--my constant reminder to stop striving and let God be God in my life.
Fearless by Building 429--this song has gotten me through more tough spots during my runs than I can count.

3.) Resolutions:
A. With two kids, my time and energy during daylight hours is being eaten away. It's time I start waking up at 6am and get serious about having a consistent quiet time.
B. 5K in February, 10K in May, sprint triathlon by end of summer.
C. Savannah is to be potty trained by end of summer.
D. Keep my focus on the Lord and His focus for me, which for now, means staying at home and training my children in His ways.

I leave you with Joey's verse for this year: Philippians 1:6 "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."

13 comments:

WonderMer said...

ALWAYS read yours first. I can hear your voice and your heart in these blogs!

Happy New Year to you and your beautiful family!

Kathleen said...

Hey Jennifer, I always read your blog and LOVE seeing pictures of Savannah and Weston! I hope yall have a wonderful new year!!!
-Kathleen Alfano

Amy said...

YAAAAY for reusable bags! I love that you included this on your "year end" blog.

I definitely will encourage you along the lines of running. I'd love to do the sprint tri with you at the end of the summer...keep me up to date on that.

LOVE YOU!

Lisa B. said...

Just want you to know that I always enjoy reading your blog! Even though it's been a few years, I can still hear your voice and your laugh in these words :) Keep writing and I'll be praying for the upcoming year - running, rest, potty-training, etc!

AmandaE said...

Your kids are such cuties! And I totally agree with you about the garlic press. I love mine and use it all the time! :)

Stan and Kim said...

Keep it up sissy. It's hard work raising a family. The hours are endless, the pay is pennies, emotions reek havoc and you often wonder if the husband or kids know how much you do for them because you love them. Be encouraged....it's all worth it! From my vantage point, you are doing an amazing job :) I consider myself blessed to be close enough to watch, help and pray. I'm always here for you.
Love----Mom

TheBrookshires said...

I enjoy reading your blog and seeing your cute kiddos grow up!

Christen said...

I love reading your blog, hearing your heart through your posts, and keeping up with your kids!
I, too, am a HUGE pampered chef fan! My favorite pc item is most definitely my stoneware, I use my rectangular flat stone almost every day, I bake everything from biscuits to sausage balls to cookies on it because it's impossible to burn the bottom of the food! It's also very easy to clean.
Ryan loves the pc ice cream scoop, it makes any kind of ice cream easy to scoop out no matter how hard it may be.
I feel your struggle with the discipline and manner teaching, Luke is at the same stage, some days I feel like throwing in the towel, but I have to keep reminding myself to rely on the Lord for the strength that I need to get through each day and for the wisdom I need to mold Luke's character.
Hope you have a blessed New Year!

Unknown said...

You know I love reading your blogs! And I love the stories you tell about Savannah and Weston. It makes me feel like I'm still part of their lives even though I'm down here in Macon. I also am in awe of how you can express what's in your heart in such a wonderful way. I love reading those parts especially and appreciate the insight it gives me into my very precious daugther-in-law (you!). Keep up the running. It will get easier! Love you. Patti

Colleen said...

Hey girl! You have such a talent for writing. The way you tell your stories makes me feel like I'm right there with you. I have such a hard time keeping up with my blog and will regret that later as I try to search my brain for memories!

Brittany said...

I love reading your blog and hearing other mommy storys..sometimes you wonder if you are going through it all alone and it is nice to hear you aren't the only one who has "trying" mommy days!!

Alicia said...

I definitely read your blog! I still think of your first post on running often. We're in the teaching manners with Tristan stage too. That was our main discipline issue over the last trip. I mean, how hard is it to say hi and bye?! Keep up the good work!

Everything Homemade said...

i stop by and read your blog too. i am always interested in what is going on in other's lives. i have so many of the same issues. the 6am wake up for a quiet time...yeah sometimes, sometimes not. it is so hard when you dont know what the night before will hold. and i feel you on potty training. when we run out of diapers (which will be VERY soon) we are going to panties and i am nervous, i dont think naomi will be as easy as abigail was!