Friday, July 24, 2009

The World As I See It....

So, if you haven't been informed by email already, I have been officially placed on bedrest until Weston arrives. Why? Well, turns out all those Braxton Hicks contractions I thought I was having, well, some of them were actually real contractions, and now at not quite 34 weeks, my cervix is softened and possibly beginning to thin. August 19th is Weston's "safe zone" where no NICU will be needed, so I'm following doctor's orders: "You are not to stand for any reason other than to use the restroom and take a 15 minute shower; otherwise, you need to be horizontal at all times."

So what does the world of a bedridden mother look like? Here's a glimpse at The Needed Essentials for Surviving Life from Your Bed.....
1) A loving, adoring husband who gets you a new 22" flat panel TV with built in DVD player (since we don't have a cable jack in the bedroom.) What else are savings accounts for, right???

2) A thoughtful, observant husband who also purchases Season 1 of all your favorite TV shows: House & Bones for starters. (He has already called Comcast as well to get them to install a jack in the bedroom immediately, but to be honest, I don't miss the commercials...bring on the DVR!)
3) A comfortable bed with all the essentials in close range...
4) LOTS of comfortable pillows to arrange in various places for optimal comfort...
5) A handy snack...cookies in this picture...
6) The doctor prescribed bottle of water that must be drained and refilled constantly...
7) Bible...my life support...
8)Bible study workbook...even if I can't attend my small group, might as well keep learning...
9) Journal...my outlet...
10) Book to read--TV does inevitably get old....
11) House phone...
12) Cell phone...all texts and blackberry messaging are greatly appreciated...
13) Laptop...my other necessary outlet to the outside world.
14) On one bedside table, you see my purse, in case I need to leave in a rush (let's hope not)....
15) Fully-loaded iPod...
16) Clock that reminds me time IS passing...
17)Tums because no matter what position you lay in, at this stage, heartburn is inevitable....
18) Prescription for stopping any contractions that might begin....VERY important...
19) The other bedside table containing a neurotic project in case I get REALLY bored. Yes, I am going through ALL those Southern Living magazines, cutting out the recipes I want to keep, and taping them to index cards to file in my recipe box...
20) All necessary tools for neurotic project: scissors, index cards, scrapbooking tape....
21) Remote control for TV/DVD...my third arm...
22) A closet nearby to harbor a 2nd neurotic project: Savannah's quilt. Thanks to my wonderful friend Brooke, all the squares have been pinned together into strips, now I just have to sew them all together. Given I can't sit upright at a sewing machine, I'm actually contemplating hand-stitching them together. (What else do I have to do?)....
23) All necessary bags packed for hospital visit. Savannah has two: one diaper bag and another for overnight essentials. Joey has the sleeping bag and blue suitcase, and I have the other Vera Bradley bag waiting. Each bag has a written list of items in the top that must be grabbed last minute before we leave the house and placed in the bag. YES, I am prepared=)
24) And last by not least, in order to survive bedrest, you must have a decent looking ceiling fan to stare at that doesn't drive you completely insane...plus your body is overheating from being pregnant anyways, so this is a lifesaver!
...

And those are the key essentials you should be prepared to have within reach when your world becomes your bedroom=)
...

All things considered, I'm doing reasonably well, but mostly because my friends and family are the best support anyone could pray to have. Thank you all so much! You have no idea how deeply, truly, grateful I am to have you all in my life.
...

No more mass emails from this point on...keep checking back here for updates on what's going on. Next doctor's appointment is Monday, and they are doing an ultrasound, so I should have more baby Weston pics to post! Love you all!

1 comment:

Joey Durham said...

Hey just a thought, but it looks like you might have been VERTICAL to take some of these pics, and unless you were on the toilet or in the shower taking the pics (which is geometerically impossible) I'd say you were violating Dr's orders....

You are doing great being a slave to the bedroom keep it up Weston will be worth it.