Sunday, December 13, 2009

I Run: Lesson One

So, I'm running twenty-eight minutes now in my training schedule. Kinda hard to believe, I know. It's been what? Six weeks since I started? I'm not even sure where to begin trying to explain or put into words all that God is teaching me. Every time I come home from a run, I have to take another quick jog to my computer just to jot down more lessons and thoughts that He's given me on what seems like a never-ending list.

Lesson one, though, is the thought I consistently have most often. You've heard it before, but let me see if I can expound. Lesson number one: God always provides exactly what you need--always--especially, in the greatest moment of your need.

For example, when I run, I time myself by songs on my iPod. Keeping a running addition of the song times in my head is just one more thing I can focus my attention on other than the pain=) Now, the playlist I listen to is titled "WorkOut Music" and is a compilation of any and all music I've purchased that is upbeat, inspiring, or dance-able. I am a fan of all music genres, so this playlist includes upbeat music from Christian, rock, alternative, techno, country, and pop music, and since the music plays in random order, I never really know what I'm going to be listening to next.

It never ceases to amaze me, the music that God chooses for my runs. Once, I went running in the rain, and right at the hardest point of my run, the song "Praise You In The Storm" by Casting Crowns plays over my earphones. Talk about encouragement to keep going! God always seems to provide slower pace or fun songs when I need to settle into my run and persevere, then He never ceases to provide high-energy, pavement pounders for those last five minutes when you just think your lungs are going to explode and your legs fall off.

Then there was Thanksgiving. You see I had to take a break from my running schedule for three whole days because I was sick the Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of Thanksgiving--convenient right? No exercise and LOTS of food, so I was really worried I wouldn't be able to pick up with my 22 minute run after three days off. I wish I could name all the songs that played in a row that Saturday! It was one inspirational Christian song after another. Right when I felt I couldn't make it another step, a Toby Mac jam would begin to play, and I would feel my body keep pace. Not only did I run the whole 22 minutes that Saturday, but I crushed a huge hill right at the end of my workout as well, and I don't remember the song, but I do remember feeling this rush of praise, as I opened my arms wide at the end of that run, and sang aloud to the music for the whole world to hear. I didn't care...God had given me a music line-up that called for nothing less than pure praise and exhilaration.

Such a little thing--songs on an iPod--why would God care? Because He cares about me, and He teaches me in this that He will provide exactly what I need in my greatest moment of need.

Now this is Christian teaching 101. This is the lesson that every pastor, preacher, teacher, and evangelist tries to get across to the saved and the lost alike. That God never fails you. He is always there, and He's on your side, cheering for you. All you have to do is take that first step of faith, right?

Well, as simple as this sounds, the problem comes in that it is so hard to believe, much less actually live like you believe it. Honestly, I'm not sure there are many areas in my life where I personally challenge myself enough to see if this is true. Because, you see, in order for God to provide for you, you have to be willing to put yourself in the position to actually need something. Now, let's be honest, in this everything's-at-your-fingertips society we live in called the Great USA, how many of us actually really need anything? And if you get away from the physical, and start talking spiritual, how many of us actually challenge ourselves outside of the comfort of Sunday morning, Christian music, and Bible studies to really put feet and hands to God's Word? How many of us tell ourselves that inviting our next door neighbor to church would be awkward or weird or an intrusion into their lives? I do. Something so simple, and yet I'm afraid that God can't meet my need to not be rejected. That even if I am rejected or condemned, do I really believe God can't meet me in that moment and fill the void with His peace and comfort? Something so simple people! I ask you again, do you ever really put yourself in a position to need?

On top of that, how many of us are in a position of greatest need? I define this as the point you reach where you have lost or are enable or believe you have lost or believe you are enable to have or take control of the situation. Complete loss of control means there's no one else available to step in except for God. I could go on, but I'm feeling this is a good stopping point. Maybe God will give me more examples to expound upon "greatest need" in another run.

So I leave you with this...what can you do today to put yourself in God's hands and let Him provide for your needs? Now I'm not talking about something you feel you need. For most of us, our view of our needs is very basic, carnal, and fleshly compared to God's view of our needs. You see, His goal is to get us into an intimate relationship with Him, so He is more concerned with our character, you know the inner you...the person on the inside that most of us are too afraid to show to the outside world? That is the person in us that needs God the most. The you on the inside is the you God wants to show to the outside--that's the you that will impact this world for Christ. The problem is, at least for me, that my inner me is WAY needier than my outer me. Just the idea of making the inner me vulnerable to the opinions of those around me scares me to death. So ultimately what do I do? Truthfully? What do you do? We hide the real us, which basically means we don't trust God to meet our needs of acceptance, strength, encouragement, whatever. We are still making the outside us fit what we think the world wants to see instead of being the inside us who God called us to be. Sad really--how many of us live in a cage most of us don't even realize we've created. Heck...99% of the time, I don't realize I keep myself locked in this cage...and I'm the one God has called to write this blog!

So the challenge: 1) I run. You need to find something in your life to do that will make you think, make you work, and put you in a place of true inner need. That's where you will find the inner child that is so mailable and teachable--the place where you and God can be so tender together.

What can you start doing today? Anything at all! Even if it's setting your mind to waking up at a certain time EVERY day or completing a specific task EVERY day. Pick something that maybe you've really wanted to do for yourself for a long time...something that will have long term benefits. For some it might be brushing your teeth...hahaha...I jest, but some of you out there are terrified of the dentist for this very reason:) Take the first step, then watch because God will show up...in ways you were least expecting. So tell me, what have you decided to do every day, trusting God that He will meet you in this activity?

No comments: