Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Fresh Start

So, I kinda got blogged out keeping everyone in the loop for Christmas, so I guess this is my first official post in a while. A lot has been going through my mind lately. All the evaluting and looking/planning ahead that most people do at the beginning of the year can be overwhelming, and for a person like myself who think all day AND all night this time of year, getting things down on "paper" can be a bit difficult, frustrating, and time-consuming--even though I LOVE to write.

So instead of resolutions, our pastor challenged us to just make 2-degree shifts in our lives this year that are small and attainable and over time will lead to big changes, so I've really been contemplating what 2-degrees I want to shift.

The first obvious and needed one is my quiet time with the Lord. For all you mothers out there, I pray you know where I'm coming from. Sleep is a valuable commodity these days and with Savannah officially out of her morning nap, not one of which I have much. And I'm sorry, I am the worst morning person on the face of the planet, even Joey will tell you this. (Ask him to make my "morning face" sometime; it will crack you up!) So, I've resolved, despite all the teaching I've been through my entire life, and all the Bible verses I know I can find about rising early in the morning, that my body, soul, spirit, needs sleep. God is okay with this--I have to remind myself that He's not frowning on me from heaven for not meeting Him at six in the morning, and I have made a 2-degree shift to the first thirty minutes or so of Savannah's nap in the afternoon.

It has made all the difference in the world for me! For the first time in, oh let's be honest, years, I have been able to have a consistent quiet time for a whole week! I know there are blessings that come with meeting God early in the morning, but He has to pleased that my consistency has improved. Honestly, I think He just wants to spend some time with me, so He will take it when He can.

One day I will be disciplined enough to start my day in the Word. From experience, I know it's a fulfilling and refreshing practice. All God's promises in the Bible are true, but for this stage of the game, I think I've finally given myself enough grace to accept that one o'clock in the afternoon can be just as refreshing and fulfilling...the consistency definitely is. "Thank you Lord for answering my prayers and helping me to live in Your freedom, and not by my own condemnation and legalistic expectations."

Does anyone else meet with the Lord at an "unorthodox" time? Always good to know you're not alone=) Haha!

2 comments:

Heather said...

With 3 I do all my QT's during nap time or even during the evening after Jeremy gets home from work ... so you are not alone :)

Stan and Kim said...

One word....GRACE. Thank you Lord for allowing me to see my child experience one of your most awesome attributes.