Monday, May 16, 2011

A Tribute to 10 Years!

So, today, 10 years ago, I said "I Do" to my best friend at the tender age of 21.  We had no idea what we were getting into, but I don't have a single regret.  I wouldn't have waited until I graduated from college to marry him.  I couldn't imagine an adventure I could have taken alone that would outshine the adventures we've lived together here in the good ole' South.  I'm daily and forever grateful that God provided for me a real man.

A real man who's not afraid to openly seek the Lord's counsel, who admits his mistakes (eventually) then even actually works at trying to change them.  A real man who's not afraid to break before the Lord and ask for His help when the weight of this world bears down hard on his shoulders, who truly loves his wife like Christ loves the church.  I know God's love tangibly because of how Joey treats me.  A real man who respects his wife and adores his children, who's not afraid to shoulder the responsibility that comes with life, a family, and work.  I real man who takes the licks life gives sometimes, but trusts the Lord and keeps on going.  A real man who understands a woman's work is never done, so he's not afraid to vacuum or do the dishes or change the diapers--without being asked and without expecting any gratitude.

A real man who I can respect and who I ultimately have no struggles in submitting to his authority over our family because--he. seeks. God.  Bottom line.  He will answer before our Father one day for me and this family and the way he has led, so what kind of wife would I be to get in his way? to degrade him? to try and take the lead? to make him feel lesser?  Shame on me for all the times I probably have.

Because in a world where a good man, a REAL good man, is getting harder and harder to find, I have one.  Praise the Lord, God gave me you, Joey Durham!!  I am twice blessed because I could not choose a better role model for our daughter for how a man should treat a woman.  I could not choose a better role model for how a man becomes and lives as a real man of God for my son.  My dear children, your daddy is flawed, but he's not too proud to admit it, and he's not too scared to change, and he's not too strong to know when to lean on our Heavenly Father.

To the man who won my heart 10 years ago, and continues to keep it captivated to this day, I wanted to take some space in time to honor you the way all good men should be honored, but who rarely are until their own eulogy.  I respect you.  I love you, and I can't wait to live the rest of my life with you.

Happy 10 Year Anniversary Honey!!  I really wanted to include pictures down memory lane, but 10 years worth of pictures?  Who am I kidding.  I'd be sitting at my scanner for hours.  So here's to us, Joey Durham, and 90 more if I had my say=)
post signature

1 comment:

Christen said...

Happy Anniversary Jennifer & Joey!