Sunday, November 7, 2010

Savannah Lee Turns 3



October....this is one of my favorite months out of the year, but it never fails that no matter how many festivals I want to see or mountain paths I'd like to hike, the month just sails by like a breath of wind.

(Savannah's birthday party...we had a great turn out of her school friends and church friends for the party...and this look on her face really says it all. She loved every minute of being the girl of the day.)

October always begins with Savannah's birthday. She was due October 29th of 2007, but she arrived early on October 8th. From the moment she was born, our lives have been one mass of a whirlwind of golden hair and energy a marathoner would be envious of. I love every inch of this kid=) Her sing songy voice and mature intonations. The way she can turn a phrase like a teenager. The way she can squeeze your neck off and make you feel like the most special person on the whole planet. I'm telling you, I love every inch of this kid. The good, and the bad...but today is about the good.

(She is all about the princess dolls these days...LOVES them!)

I snuck into her room last night to check on her, like I always do, before I went to bed, and I was overwhelmed by how big she was. Her dirty blonde tendrils sprawled all over her pillows, with her little pink lips slightly open, resting peacefully under her blankets. I could almost see her toes about to peek out from under the large fleece blanket my Dot-Dot had made for her when she transferred to a big girl bed. That blanket use to consume her. I choked back the tears that burned in my throat, and I said a quick prayer thanking God for a beautiful little girl who brings so much joy to my life.

Some days I feel I might take her for granted. Not spend enough time with her. Not give her the patience a three year old deserves (because let's face it...she acts six.) But she always forgives me. Her arms are always open and waiting. I've had to apologize already for being ugly and mean and uncaring, and she's only three. I have a feeling I have A LOT of apologizing ahead of me in years to come. But even with sad eyes and a little quivering lip, she always says she'll forgive me, gives me one of her golden hugs, and makes me feel unworthy of this little girl gift God has given. A three year old makes me feel unworthy. Oh the tools God uses in our lives to keep us humble.

(A little upset that she can't play with the big boys...they just want to pitch the football, and she just wants to be part of the action.)

Favorite moments/Savannahisms in the past month:

I was sick and throwing up one morning. I promptly run to the toilet. Savannah isn't far behind. As I'm emptying my stomach, she stands over me, holding back my hair. She gently rubs my back and says, "It'll be ok mommy. Take a deep breath. It'll be ok." She is definitely the little nurse. Always the first on the scene with ice and a paper towel or rag or a band-aid if needed. The extremes of her personality keep me guessing. One moment she's my wild, dancing child, singing songs at the top of her lungs for the whole neighborhood to hear, and just as quick, she will turn around soften immediately in the face of a need. I am not a nurturer, so this is definitely a God-given gift for her.

(Scarecrow day at school.)

We were driving to a friend's house one Saturday afternoon. Weston had kicked his usual screaming into a new gear, and we were all gritting our teeth, hoping we reached our destination quickly. In exasperation, we hear Savannah over Weston's din of noise,"Mama, Daddy! Hey!" "Yes, Savannah?" She then takes her hand and waves it toward Weston in a gesture of emphasis, "This kid...this kid over here! He just won't stop screaming!" We both broke down in laughter...what else do you do?

(Our classic Chick-fil-A pumpkin.)

(Ha! I told her to open her eyes for the picture=)

Hope you enjoyed the peek into my little girl. She's a fire cracker for sure!


post signature

No comments: