Sunday, August 1, 2010

I Run: Lesson Seven

Lesson Seven: Sickness requires a different response than injury.

I know, this seems obvious, right? But here's what I'm learning. Injury can be forgotten, sometimes ignored, covered up, treated mildy, treated with physical therapy, a change in attitude, by learning to forgive daily, and a whole host of other treatments I won't go into. Sickness on the other hand, creeps up on you slowly. It starts effecting you from the inside out, from the very cells inside your body, and once the virus or bacteria is in full force, there's no denying or escaping the fact that you are sick. Everything inside of you knows it...feels it.

My poison? Diagnosis: viral asthmatic bronchitis....fancy words for a really bad cold that gives you an even worse chest cough. Not to mention, the fever! Holy cow the fever! I've literally been hot, then cold, then sweaty every 30 minutes today. Joey's been like this for 3 days, so I'm assuming I'm not over the hump yet. Every joint aches, every movement makes me wince, and I don't mind sweating during exercise, but just all of a sudden soaking through your clothes unexpectedly is really unpleasant. Unlike injury, sickness attacks at your most vulnerable spot and works it way out into your whole body, into your whole life.

Sickness is a soul condition.

Injury is that person in your life this seems impossible to love, those biting words someone cut you with, that scar that you wear that every time you see it, you are reminded of the past. These are the daily "thorns in the flesh" if you will (2 Corinthians 12:7). Small reminders to stay humble, forgive, accept forgiveness, forget with God's help, and move on. Keep going.

Sickness, on the other hand, stops you in your tracks. Sickness is the feverish fear that has you shaking in your boots, unable to move forward, unable to take a risk, unable to trust God.

Sickness is the deep ache of depression. So deep, you feel almost paralyzed. People can see the ache in your eyes, hear it in your voice, but no one knows just how hard it is to inhale the saving breath of grace.

Sickness is the piercing joint pain of loneliness and abandonment. It keeps you from moving freely into relationships, it holds you back from accepting the love of others and opening yourself up to new possibilities. This pain of loneliness ironically keeps others from being able to touch you, even though that's what you so desperately need the most. A soothing hand of comfort and assurance.

Sickness....any sickness, all sickness....is a soul issue. Only God holds the curing salve for a sick soul.

So what do you do? Unlike injury, sickness demands rest. It demands that you lay down in the bed of God's Word and allow His Psalms and exhortations and promises to wrap your feverish fear in hope and sovereignty and the challenge of a life worth living--HIS way.

Sickness demands that you take your aching depression before the Father in prayer and pour out your broken soul to Him in tears. The bottle He keeps them in is beautiful and precious to Him (Psalm 56:8).Only he can bring forth beauty from the ashes (Isaiah 61:1-3). Only He offers true joy, contentment, and fulfillment, soothing those deep aches.

Sickness demands that you take the piercing pains of loneliness and abandonment before the feet of our Lord. In exchange for a mind stayed on Him, He promises perfect peace (Isaiah 26:3). To heal loneliness, you must replace the holes, the emptiness in your soul with His promises. He says He will NEVER leave or forsake you (Joshua 1:5). If these words are not on your mind daily, part of your life daily, then the sickness will only worsen. You must meditate, marinate in these words.

The only thing we as mere humans can do to heal ourselves is believe and trust and follow a God who is greater than ourselves, all-powerful, all-knowing, the one and only Creator of the Universe, who in one breath spoke life into being, who in one blink of an eyelash can heal my broken soul, my broken heart, my broken life.

All praise be to the Jehovah Rapha, the God who Heals!!! May this sick little clay pot bring Him glory even in the midst of my brokenness. May my shortcomings reflect His mercy. May my failures reflect His grace. May my sickness reflect His healing. My my attitude reflect His heart. I cannot complain...I believe God works all things for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28).

I believe that.

And tomorrow is another day, another chance to rest in God's goodness and reflect on His purposes. My race day will come, and my God will be my Defender and my Deliverer. He will carry me through the sand, over the finish line, leaving only His footprints behind. So should it be. So should it be.

28“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.

30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11

A promise, a calling, a presciption from Jesus' own mouth. What more are we looking for in this world? What other answer do we need? He says He will GIVE all this! All we have to do is COME. That's the simplest training tip I've ever had to follow=)

post signature

No comments: