Sunday, July 11, 2010

I Live My Life Out of Bags

Yes, it is true...I live my life packing, unpacking, and repacking different bags for different uses. I was especially made aware of this after our recent trip to the beach with two kids in tow.

(Weston's first trip to the zoo...not so sure about that statue.)

There's the ever-present diaper bag which also functions as my purse, so it literally weighs 5lbs. on some days--no exaggeration. Contents: wallet, Blackberry, Flip video camera, Canon digital camera, lipstick/meds pouch, diapers, wipes, juice cup, juice bottle, formula bottle, formula dispenser, bib, spoon, jar of baby food, and snacks. At any point in time, this could also be carrying two changes of clothes and/or any other miscellaneous items that may be needed. Check bag one.

Bag two--the beach bag. We love summertime! We love the water...we loved the beach, but we must be prepared. Contents: swim diapers, two changes of clothes, four towels, two spray cans of sunscreen, one tube of baby suntan lotion, one face stick, one spray bottle of hair sunscreen, 2 swimmies, 1 baby float (deflated), 1 inner tube (deflated), possibly a magazine. This bag usually has a secong bag stuck in top of it--a small shoulder strap cooler for water, juice, and frozen yogurts, and filled with ice. This bag with cooler weighs about 10lbs. Then there's the Childcare Bags. These are needed for quick drop offs at the YMCA, Sunday School, or any other childcare opportunity I can find=) Contents: 1 juice cup, 1 pull-up, possibly a change of pants, 1 formula bottle, 1 juice bottle, wipes, and diapers.Which means currently, I can't forget my WorkOut Bag. You never know when an opportunity will present, so I try to have this one handy if my brain can remember it. Contents: 1 towel, goggles, swim cap, deoderant, Sportsband, iPod, armband, headphones, change of clothes, flip flops or running shoes, socks.(My little wave crawler...he was determined to swim right out to sea if he could.)

Oh, and we also tend to stay out late at family and friend's houses, or maybe a kid or two is spending the night with a grandparent or friend, so occasionally there's the overnight bag to carefully plan and pack. It's one thing if I forget something, but to torture someone I love by forgetting something my kids need is embarrassing, and I work really hard to avoid that!(Savannah's Bo Derek shot=)

Traveling to the beach included several reusable bags full of stuff. Who needs suitcases when you have reusable grocery bags that stack neatly and squish together nicely in the back of a car? Bags of food, snacks, kidware, diapers, formula, kitchen utensils you think the condo won't have. One bag for all of Savannah's clothes and essentials for the week. Another bag for Weston's...thank the Lord we didn't have to pack the pack-n-play. A bag for my clothes. A bag for Joey's. A bag for our portable floor fans...sad that none of us can sleep without that whirring white noise.
Whew! Bags, bags, bags galore! Have you kept up? Or just enjoyed the pics=) Ha! So I do...I live my life around the planning and packing and repacking of bags, especially in the summer. But you know what...I'm not complaining. I love every trip planned, every adventure experienced, and every moment explored. My kids are the best! My family is amazing, and my friends are so much fun. I have a feeling the future holds more bags: book bags, gym bags, sports bags, lunch bags, and inevitably...bags under my eyes=) But I wouldn't trade a single moment for all the money in the world! May your summer be bagged-full of possibilities too! post signature



holy experience
#39 family vacations
#40 moments to stop and be fully present in what God has given you
#41 the laughter of children
#42 the making of memories
#43 the ocean and it's reflection of God's grandness and goodness
#44 the ability to pack a bag

2 comments:

Stan and Kim said...

Beautiful post!!! and oh so glad to be the recipient of some of those bags...

Brittany said...

Beautiful pictures and girl I know all about the bags!! Love the post!!