Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What's In A Name?

I have always been fascinated by the meaning of names. After teaching for four years, you come across a thousand kinds and types of names, and when I go and research their meanings, the name of a child and their personality never ceases to amaze me at how well they tend to match up.
. . .
My name means "Fair Lady" by one interpretation, which is the beauty of language, you can just choose the name meaning you like the best from all the possibilities in language=) Anyway, I don't think of myself as fair in appearance, but I believe the name fits as fair in behavior, like just or not showing favoritism. I like to think the meaning fits me. Joey's name, Joseph, means "Productive", and I don't think anyone who knows him would argue with that!
. . .
So when it came time to choose a name for my children, I not only considered the cadence of first, middle, and last name together, but the meaning of their first name in particular was important to me. With as much as I love to be outdoors and gardening, it makes me smile a little to know that both of the literal interpretations of my children's names have an original tie to nature, but it's their spiritual connotation that also needed to mean something valuable.
. . .
Savannah means "Treeless Plain"-duh, but her spiritual connotation means "Cherished". I LOVE THIS! "Cherish" is one of my favorite words in the English language. I even made sure my wedding vows specifically used this word. To me, it means more than just to love; it means to adore and treasure, so not only do I want my baby girl to know she is adored and treasured by her parents, but by her Lord Jesus Christ, and cherished is how He wants her to view herself through her entire life.
. . .
Now....drum roll please...for our little boy, Joey and I have decided upon the name Weston Loyd Durham. Weston literally means "Of the Western Meadow", fitting considering we live in West Cobb County--Haha! Anyways, but his spiritual connotation means "Steadfast". This is a quality in my father and my husband as well as other men in my family that I admire most. They hold a standard, make a decision, and stand true, holding tight to what God tells them to do. There's no wishy-washing, backsliding, or mind-changing. They are steadfast and true to God's Word in their lives. In this ever-changing, more terrifying world we live in, I sometimes cringe at the thought of what my children will have to experience and face in their lifetimes, especially the males in our society. They have so many expectations placed on them that it's no wonder many shrink from their responsibility. My prayer is that my boy will be steadfast in his faith and holy inheritance. That he will find and possess the quiet strength that only comes from being a rooted man of God.
. . .
So their it is...Jennifer "Lee" Durham, Joseph Loyd Durham, Savannah Lee Durham, gladly welcome Weston Loyd Durham into our household. We couldn't be more filled with joy!

3 comments:

The View From My Porch said...

Love it Jen!

Stan and Kim said...

Mine means "Dignity of Character" I never have really known hot to interpret that for myself. Got any ideas??
Love, Weston Lloyd and I can't wait for him to be here!

New Blog Coming Soon..... said...

OH I love that name! SO cute! =)